Being a public statement issued by Honourable Yemi Akinbode, Ag. Director, Media & Publicity Social Democratic Party, SDP Our attention has been drawn to the statement issued by Dr. Ike Neliaku, the Consultant to the Prof Jerry Gana’s campaign group,...
sdp, presidential, primaries, olu, falae, donald, dukes, jerry, gana
Being a public statement issued by Honourable Yemi Akinbode,
Ag. Director, Media & Publicity
Social Democratic Party, SDP
Our attention has been drawn to the statement issued by Dr. Ike Neliaku, the Consultant to the Prof Jerry Gana’s campaign group, to challenge the emergence of His Excellency Donald Duke as the Presidential Candidate of the Party in the recently concluded Primaries.
The Party notes that Dr. Neliaku’s references to the SDP Constitution were premature and misplaced and frowns at recent misrepresentations by his statements that protests against South-South candidates’ participation were raised by him or by his boss before or during the screening exercise. This is outright false and grossly misleading. The party has also noted that as soon as Dr Neliaku, Prof Jerry Gana’s Consultant, realised that hanging on the SDP Constitution to disqualify Mr. Duke does not hold water, he resorted to attempting to discredit the entire exercise by raising fathom irregularities. This is unwarranted.
Dr. Neliaku has been advised to desist from these negative acts and has been encouraged to join the Social Democratic Party by registering as a valid Party member so he may transcend the role of Campaign Consultant for Primaries that have ended to join forces with progressive elements for national action plan to rescue and rebuild Nigeria.
The Party fully understands the enormity of the task ahead to salvage Nigeria and that to move Nigeria forward everyone matters. Therefore, the Party does not intend to join issues with Prof Gana, but it is important to set the records straight in the public interest and in the face of misrepresentations by Dr. Neliaku as stated below:
1. The Forum of SDP State Chairmen congratulates the Party's National Working Committee for the successful conduct of the Presidential Primaries of the Party which saw the emergence of His Excellency, Donald Duke as the Presidential candidate of the Party. The exercise complies with due process of internal democracy, guidelines and regulations of the Party as well as the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended).
2. We also commend and salute the organizational capacity of the party leadership for ensuring that the national convention was conducted without any hitche or complaints whatsoever, whether orally or in written by the aspirants, party members from the screening of aspirants to accreditation of delegates, from overall xonduct of party members to security arrangement from the ratifications of the new constitution to affirmation of the expanded national working committee and the new logo of the party. The National convention of the SDP was also adjudged by both local and international observers as one of the best party conventions conducted in Nigeria in a long time. This is a remarkable feat achieved by the National Working Committee.
3. We commend the sportsmanship of the other contestants particularly John Dara, Amb Prof Hagher and Amb Felix Osakwe for accepting the outcome of the exercise and congratulating the winner.
4. We would like to call on all the contestants to join forces with the Party and support candidate of the party towards its success in upcoming 2019 General Election at all levels. As a Party we cannot but close ranks and move forward for the interest and success of our great Party.
5. Without equivocation, the Party will continue to hold each contestant in very high esteem and will always rely on seek their wise counsel and guidance as we journey towards 2019.
6. There is no Victor and no vanquished. We are all winners.
7. We wish to pledge our unflinching support to the leadership of the Party and we commit ourselves to driving the Party to winning ways.
8. The task of rebuilding Nigeria is urgent. Nigerians are looking the way of SDP in the coming elections. We shall not let the burgeoning reputation that the Party has garnered to diminish.
Let’s Join forces. Everyone matters